- The UMC version of the Supreme Court (Judicial Council) ruled that annual conferences (e.g., Texas Annual Conference) can vote on disaffiliation, but cannot actually leave the UMC until the General Conference authorizes a way to do so. (General Conference is the world-wide organization that keeps getting postponed... now postponed to 2024).
WHAT THIS MEANS
- The proposals for disaffiliation as an entire TX conference will need to be altered (not by WordServe, but by those who authored the proposals)
- The TX Annual Conference cannot leave as a whole until the 2024 General Conference meets AND approves a process
- However, local churches can vote to disaffiliate
- Let's not panic, smart people are working on this and God is still in control. Pray for peace and clarity
- Monitor this website, set up by our Bishop Scott Jones and our TX Annual Conference leadership for updates:
- Going forward, we'll be in close contact with the FFUMC leadership team and their new Pastor, Alex Lupo, as we both discern a way ahead.
- Day to day WordServe operations will look no different than they do now.
- More to follow